Houseflies definitely top the list of the most annoying pests to ever exist on planet earth. So many questions are raised about these notorious insects and we’ve come to the conclusion that among these, the questions that concern their annihilation (how to get rid of houseflies in the house?) are definitely the most asked. They are notorious for being such a huge nuisance in our homes and our surrounding environs. Not to mention that they make this very annoying buzzing sound, perching on any attractive thing, their large eyes manage to keep in sight. They transfer a lot of bacteria unto our foods which has some effects.
Let’s find out a bit about the first or you could just skip right away to 18 simple ways of getting rid of houseflies today;
Their Life Span
The life span of a housefly is incredibly short. They have an estimated average life span of about 10 to 20 days although they can live up to two months provided their predators are absent and the weather conditions are favorable. Their eggs hatch within the span of 24 hours which gives way for their larvae to then emerge. Houseflies lay up to 150 eggs at a time and guess where they lay these eggs? They lay these eggs on poop! Their eggs cannot survive any temperature below 45 degrees, this means that a warm house is the perfect breeding ground for the eggs of houseflies.
Their Sworn Life Enemies (Their Predators)
It’s definitely hard to believe that these nasty creatures have predators since they are always the ones found pestering the lives of human beings. However, the natural enemies of a housefly are;
- Birds and other insectivorous animals.
- Spiders and spider webs.
- Tree swallows.
- And of course, a human with a flat tool in his/her hand getting ready to swat at it.
Having any of these predators around your house would do very well at reducing the number of houseflies in your environs. But we know some of these are not good pet and have their own disadvantage. For instance, having many spider webs in your house could get rid of houseflies at the expense of that unattractive look it brings, we share in on the previous guide on How to Get Rid of Spiders in the House or having a bird or insectivorous animal pooping around your home for the sake of getting rid of houseflies isn’t worth it, So stick around to know this simple ways.
What They Eat And What They’re Attracted To
Flies aren’t very picky eaters. They are just known to be more attracted to some foods that have certain ingredients than others. They prefer sweet foods and have the ability to catch their scent from far distances. When they approach solid foods, the first thing they do is spit on it to soften it into liquid form and they begin to suck it up through their proboscis. Knowing what attracts houseflies to homes will help you have a better knowledge of how to prevent or get rid of them.
Common house flies like to feed on decaying organic matter such as poop from warm-blooded animals and rotting meat. Fruit flies love sugary substances so they are always on the lookout for overripe fruits, soda and alcohol. They also look for food substances that possess a lot of sugar content. Drain flies hover around places with a very moist environment and organic matter.
Table of Contents
- How to Get Rid of Houseflies
- 1. Use Adhesive Tape
- 2. Using Dish Soap
- 3. Use Eucalyptus Oil
- 4. Lavender Smell can Get Rid of those Houseflies
- 5. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 6. Citronella Oil Candle
- 7. Use Onions
- 8. Using Lime
- 9. Hydrogen Peroxide
- 10. Tea Tree Oil
- 11. Vodka.
- 12. Lemon Grass Oil.
- 13. Clove Based Deterrent
- 14. Camphor smoke
- 15. Sugar-Water fly trap
- 16. Milk Sugar Pepper Trap
- 17. Water bags
- 18. Rolled Newspaper
- Additional Tips on How to get rid of Houseflies.
How to Get Rid of Houseflies
There are several practical and easy hacks involved in preventing these monsters from invading your home. You can use any of these 18 methods below to get rid of houseflies;
1. Use Adhesive Tape
Adhesive tapes are very effective in getting rid of houseflies in a clean, non-messy manner. They do not leave stains or cracks on the wall. Houseflies get attracted by their pleasant smell and they get stuck when they try to perch or land on the tapes. Adhesive tape is very easy to use and not in any way hard to set up. You just need to unroll it and hang it in a place thats convenient for you. It is the cheapest and most popular remedy for getting rid of houseflies in a home and you can get it for less than $12 on Amazon now. You can also hang several of them at once, which rids you of as many houseflies as there are in your home.
2. Using Dish Soap
It is a very natural, clean way to get rid of houseflies. You can put in antibacterial dish soap in a spray bottle to kill the houseflies, or you can mix the dish soap with apple cider vinegar in order to drown them in a trap. It’s very easy to prepare. You, first of all, fill up a jar with apple cider vinegar and place a paper funnel in it.
3. Use Eucalyptus Oil
Flies hate the smell of this essential oil. To use this method simply, put several drops of Eucalyptus oil on a ribbon or on some strips of clothing and hang them near your doors or windows. They will immediately chase away flies in that area.
4. Lavender Smell can Get Rid of those Houseflies
Houseflies absolutely hate the smell of lavender. You can either grow lavender plants outside your house, put them in a vase and set them around your house, burn lavender oil near your windows, or simply place some lavender candles and plug-ins around your house. However you choose to add lavender, it will help in keeping out these monsters and also keep your home smelling beautiful.
Also Read: How To Care For Cactus Plants
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
This is often used in the home as a remedy to repel several pests including houseflies. The strong odor is very unattractive to them and some other insects too. When you heat up the apple cider vinegar, it will attract the flies and make it ideal for a trap like drowning.
6. Citronella Oil Candle
To repel houseflies, burn a citronella candle in your house and you’re sure to keep them out. You can also buy citronella oil to apply directly to your skin as a housefly repellent. It smells pretty good and you’d also have to apply it very often on your skin.
7. Use Onions
Flies hate the smell of onions too. Cut an onion into two equal halves and place it in a bowl. Place this bowl on a flat surface at a strategic location inside your house to repel flies. They will definitely try to stay clear of it.
8. Using Lime
Lime can repel flies and limit the problems they cause you in your home. Sprinkle a bit of lime here and there and you’d have a bit of calm. The flies will be deterred.
9. Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is a very active disinfectant and has prominent antifungal properties present in it.
- Mix one-third of it in a spray bottle and fill up the rest of the bottle with water.
- Spray the mixture around your house.
- This can be guaranteed to keep houseflies away.
10. Tea Tree Oil
You can repel houseflies with tea tree oil too. Prepare this by diluting 20 drops of tea tree oil in a spray bottle with water, then spray on affected furnishings thoroughly. They’d keep away from it.
For some unknown reasons, flies hate Vodka. They hate its smell and hence you can use vodka-based repellents to ward off houseflies.
To make this,
- Mix a cup of vodka with a half teaspoon of the essential oil blend, one teaspoon of lemon eucalyptus oil and two teaspoons of aloe vera juice.
- Mix well and pour into a spray bottle.
- Spray it around your house or in an infested area to ward off flies.
- It’s quite expensive but worth it.
12. Lemon Grass Oil.
Lemongrass oil has dominant insect repellent properties and it keeps your home smelling refreshingly aromatic. You can definitely make a fly spray out of it that works as an air freshener too. Pretty cost-effective right?
Mix 20 – 25 drops of lemongrass essential oil with a half cup of hot water. Keep it in a spray bottle and spray in infested areas. You can also spray around your house for air freshening purposes.
13. Clove Based Deterrent
Cloves smell really nice to humans but they smell awful to houseflies. They can’t stand the scent of cloves! This method is relatively simple. You would have to mix cloves along with some lemons. Cut a lemon into two equal halves and poke 6-12 cloves into each half. This would successfully repel flies from whatever area you place the lemons and cloves in.
14. Camphor smoke
Camphor is a very good repellent for houseflies. Houseflies hate smoke, but when the smoke is from a piece of camphor, it becomes doubly effective and deadly against them. Light a piece of camphor and spread the smoke in the fly-infested area. The flies would leave immediately.
15. Sugar-Water fly trap
This is a very smart and effective way of getting rid of houseflies.
To make your Sugar-Water fly trap;
- You need a wide-mouthed jar or plate, sugar water and a paper cone.
- Pour the sugar syrup into the jar/plate.
- Cut a 1 cm diameter hole at the apex of the cone.
- Place the cone in the jar/plate so that it is upside down.
- Make sure it does not touch the liquid.
- Houseflies will get attracted to the sugar water and then drown in it when its caught.
16. Milk Sugar Pepper Trap
To make this trap you would need; 1/4 litres of milk, 3 teaspoons of sugar and 1 tablespoon of ground black pepper.
- Put all the ingredients in a pan.
- Heat for 5 – 10 minutes then remove the mixture from heat and pour it into small bowls.
- Place these bowls near the fly-infested area.
- They will get attracted to it and as soon as they land on the solution, they will all suffocate and drown.
17. Water bags
Put a fair amount of clean, clear water into transparent nylon bags and hang them in strategic places. These bags would effectively reflect light off their surface and it is said that when flies spot the moving reflections of the water in the nylon bag, they mistake them for the actions of a predator and are scared away. People say that they also mistake a bag of water for a giant body of water. The common theory behind this tip is that flies hate water.
18. Rolled Newspaper
Another simple way of getting rid of houseflies is with the use of a fly swatter or a rolled newspaper. This is a pretty stressful method when you consider that the reflexes of a housefly are way faster than that of a human being. However, when you do hunt them down and kill them, take care to scoop them up with a broom and not with your hands. Then, throw them in the bin.
Additional Tips on How to get rid of Houseflies.
- Throw out your garbage cans /dustbins regularly and keep them clean of scum coatings.
- Keep your garbage cans/dustbins closed and properly covered.
- Throw out rotting food and also sanitize your garbage cans regularly so as to keep them thoroughly clean.
- Ensure that your doors and your windows are tightly closed when they are not in use in order to prevent the entry of flies.
- Install mosquito netting on your windows and other large openings to keep houseflies out.
- Examine your windows and if they are any tears or holes in them, patch it up with immediate effect.
- Inspect the caulking around your windows and your doors and if they are a bit lax, you should re-caulk.
- Do not leave food, crumbs or fruit out in the open. You either remove them from these flat surfaces or you cover them neatly with a lid, a napkin or a gauze.
- Keep your house clean, tidy and spotless at all times. Especially your kitchen. Wash your dishes very regularly. This might not be easy to keep up with but it is essential for the prevention of houseflies around your home.
- If you own a dumpster, keep it clean and neatly closed.
- Treat your cesspits with chlorine at least once in a month.
- If you have pets, it is important to scoop up after them on a daily basis. Be sure to keep them and their cages clean as well.
- Learn to seal open organic foods on the plate with clean transparent nylons. It is clean, effective and prevents flies from perching on your foods.
- Be alert and sensitive.
We hope you found these tips helpful. We can also assure you that if they are followed up dedicatedly, your home would be rid of houseflies in no time!