Simply triglycerides are what we call fat when you grab a handful of tummy love handled or some other fat storage you are grabbing triglycerides. Triglycerides transport the fats in the blood from one place to another. They are also the storage form of fat. Triglycerides are derived primarily from the fats you eat or made by your body from excess calories. These fats provide you energy and have many other important functions in your body such as heart muscles all the time and for all parts of the body except your brain. Regular monitoring of your triglycerides will help prevent many diseases. A simple Lipoprotein profile is conducted to measure triglycerides levels.
Table of Contents
- What are Normal and High Triglycerides Levels?
- Causes of High Triglycerides levels
- Symptoms of High Triglycerides Levels
- What is the Diet to Lower Triglycerides levels?
- What are Triglycerides Levels Medications and How Do They Work?
- 3 Ways to Lower Triglycerides Naturally?
- Top Foods that Lowers Triglycerides Fast
- Read the list of foods that lower triglycerides level fast:
What are Normal and High Triglycerides Levels?
Having normal triglycerides levels is important to stay healthy and prevent heart disease. To measure your triglycerides levels, you simply need to do a Lipoprotein profile test. This is a simple blood test to measure the levels of triglycerides and cholesterol triglyceride less than 150mg per deciliter are considered normal, 150-199 as borderline high, 200-499 as high and levels 500 and above are considered very high. Whatever the case IG you have high triglycerides levels above 200mg per deciliter, you need treatment including medication, lifestyle changes, diet changes and losing weight (evil beast). Your ca achieves normal triglycerides levels by eating healthy and simple foods, regular exercise and losing extra weight. They are major sources of fats stored within the cells, these fats provide you energy and have many other important functions in your body, so regular monitoring of your triglycerides will help prevent many diseases. A simple Lipoprotein profile is conducted to measure triglycerides levels.
Causes of High Triglycerides levels
Causes of high triglycerides are divided into two; those that you have no control over and those that you can control. The two causes that you have no control over that can result in high triglycerides are Age and Heredity. Very simple, triglycerides levels increases as you grow older and some form of high triglycerides occurs among members of the same family. Don’t fret over it when you can’t control something don’t worry about it. However, the following two causes are definitely something you can control;
- High-fat foods and weight gain: Triglycerides levels usually increase as your weight increases, excess calories, especially from sugar and alcohol, are one of the causes of high triglycerides. Alcohol increases your liver production of triglycerides and reduces the amount of fats cleared from your blood, also high-fat foods increase your triglycerides. High-fat foods, for example, red meat and dairy products.
- Medications: certain drugs such as birth control oils, steroids and diuretics water pills can cause triglycerides levels to rise.
Symptoms of High Triglycerides Levels
You can achieve normal triglycerides levels by eating simple and healthy, regular exercise and losing extra weight. Triglycerides are a major source of fats stored within the cells. The problem with high triglycerides symptoms is that they are invariably nonexistent until significant damage has already been done. High triglycerides symptoms usually correlate with the concurrent disease like heart disease, diabetes and stroke etc. If your triglycerides levels are found to be too high, the following two symptoms of high triglycerides may be observed;
- Inflammation of pancreas called pancreatitis; this may result in sudden and severe abdominal pain, vomiting, loss of appetite and fever.
- Fatty liver enlargement: this is caused by the buildups of excess fat in the liver cells. If you have fat more than 10% of your liver’s weight it will be diagnosed as fatty liver, if you are eating more than you require, excess fat that builds up in the liver. Too much fat exhaust the liver’s normal functions and excess of fat start depositing within the liver, rapid weight loss, malnutrition and alcohol abuse may also lead to fatty liver. In the case of persistently high levels of triglycerides, the size of the liver may also increase over time. The size of the liver is usually evaluated through abdominal x-rays and ultrasound.
What is the Diet to Lower Triglycerides levels?
According to the American Association of clinical chemistry, diets high in carbohydrates especially sugar leads to an increase in triglycerides. A diet to lower triglycerides omits alcohol and sugar as they stimulate triglycerides production, both sugar and alcohol. Fermented sugar is a source of excess calories which are being turned into fat usually triglycerides, so the fat levels in your blood go up when alcohol ethanol is present in the blood, the liver prioritizes removing alcohol from the blood over other metabolic processes. The liver can detoxify about one ounce of alcohol per hour, equivalent to 12ounces of beer or 4ounces of wine. In the meantime, however, glucose tends to be further processed into triglycerides which raises their blood levels. Please note that after your triglycerides level goes back to normal, you will have to follow a modified sugar and alcohol diet for the rest of your life.
What are Triglycerides Levels Medications and How Do They Work?
There are a number of conventional triglycerides medications available in the market, used for triglycerides lowering purposes. They are divided into two groups; statin and fibrates.
- Statins block a key liver enzyme involved in the production of cholesterol in the liver thus slowing down its production. Statin enhances the uptake of bad cholesterol, LDL cholesterol by the liver removing extra cholesterol from the blood. There are a number of statins available in tablet or capsule form including zocor, lescolcal, lipitor, mevacor, pravachol, crestol.
- The second group fibrates are known to reduce triglycerides levels by 20-50%. The most common brand is Lopid. Lopid is given in patients with very high triglycerides levels, who are at risk of developing inflammation of the pancreas, pancreatitis and blood clotting problems. While both statins and vibrates are usually safe, in some people there are side effects like gastrointestinal upsets, skin rash, sleep disturbances, headache, muscle aches and liver disturbances.
3 Ways to Lower Triglycerides Naturally?
It goes without saying that it’s important to lower triglycerides naturally since high triglycerides are a risk factor for many diseases. There are three natural products available for lowering triglycerides naturally:
- Niacin: Also called nicotinic acid or vitamin B3 is a water-soluble vitamin if given that recommended doses it can reduce triglycerides, cholesterol and bad or LDL cholesterol and increase good or HDL cholesterol. The dose of niacin recommended to lower triglycerides naturally is between 1000-2000mg, two to three times daily as it blocks the breakdown of fats, it causes a decrease in free fatty acids in the blood and thus increases cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood.
- Fish Oil(Omega-3): Fish oil is often added in natural supplementation formula for lowering triglycerides naturally. A research study has shown that fish oil supplementation is highly effective to lower triglycerides naturally. The study found an average reduction of triglycerides by 38% and an increase of good cholesterol HDL in both men and women taking fish oil on a daily basis.
- Garlic: Garlic is used in many natural supplementation formulas. A number of studies have proved its beneficial effects in lowering triglycerides naturally as well as cholesterol. It is commonly used in the treatment of hypertension as well as prevention of cardiovascular diseases. One study showed a significant decrease in triglycerides and cholesterol after a few weeks of treatment with garlic.
Top Foods that Lowers Triglycerides Fast
If your body contains a higher amount of triglycerides, you must lower its level to maintain a healthy body. They mainly carry fat and lie in the body or you can say that these are types of fat. Hence its effects are sure risks associated with the heart. Through a fresh and healthy diet, you can lower triglycerides levels. That will help you to decrease amounts of triglycerides consistently. To do so follow the health routine by being active, exercise daily and also consume healthy foods. Follow these healthy ways of living and make necessary changed to your current lifestyle and then you will be fit as well as happy with lower triglycerides levels.
Read the list of foods that lower triglycerides level fast:
- Fish: Fishes help through their lots of vitamins and other essential nutrients in them. Almost all types of salmon offer a higher amount of protein together with healthy Omega-3 fatty acids. They are accommodating and healthy for your heart. Also, the fatty fish contain more of such minerals and heart-healthy elements in them.
- Vegetables: All the vitamins happen to be low in calories as well as includes a higher amount of minerals and vitamins in them. That which are green, yellow and orange colour contains more minerals such as magnesium, potassium, iron, beta-carotene, vitamin B-complex, vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin A and many more. Specifically, spinach, peas and garlic tend to be more efficient to lower triglycerides fats.
- Legumes: All of the legumes are rich sources of protein, fiber, carbohydrates, iron, folate, potassium, magnesium and more of vitamins B1, B3, B5, B6. Fenugreek Soy, dried beans have more of such properties to lower triglycerides faster.
- Whole Grains Are sources of numerous types of essential minerals, dietary fibers, and carbohydrates. Other refined grains, choosing whole grains helps lowering triglycerides faster in your body and that eventually leads towards helping your heart to function efficiently and keep your body fit.
- Dry Fruits: To keep your overall health and maintain your body, dry fruits play an essential role. Especially almond with fiber, vitamin E, magnesium, riboflavin, potassium and calcium as well as cashews are also lowest fiber nuts. Others include pecans, brazil nuts etc.
- Eggs: As we all know; egg happens to be among the healthiest foods. When you separate the egg white from the egg yolk, it contains considerably lesser proteins and fats in it, yet it is quite healthy. Along with that, egg also happens to be sources of Iron, minerals, vitamins, carotenoids etc.
- Oils: Various oils also help to maintain your overall health including Olive oil, Lavender oil and many more. Especially the olive oil contains lots of vitamin E and vitamin E along with beneficial fatty acids. Various forms of consuming it are whole olives, olive oil in cooking, on salads etc.
- Fruits: Amongst all fruits, grapes and its other form, i.e. raisin contains a higher amount of potassium, the electrolyte in it. They also provide more vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin K, carotenes, B-complex vitamins including Pyridoxine, Riboflavin, Thiamin, etc.
- Others: For reducing the triglycerides from your body, other than the above foods you can try flaxseeds, Holy basils, curcumin etc. foods.
- Additionally, making necessary changes in your lifestyle can also turn out to be quiet beneficial. Such changes are:
- Lose weight
- Limiting sugar intake
- Exercising regularly
- Eat Fiber-rich foods
- Say no to extra carbs
- Say no to trans fats
- Eat fatty fish more often
- Control of alcohol consumption